Over 12,000 runners take part in the marathon each April, enjoying a course that starts in Preston Park, snakes its way through the city centre, along the glorious seafront and finishes at the iconic Madeira Drive in front of thousands of cheering spectators. The course bests for the men and women are well under 2hrs10min and 2:29, making it the second-fastest marathon in the UK. It is also the second-largest marathon in the UK and eighth-largest in Europe. Read more: http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk
Brighton marathon is also a lovely way to do some good, even if you are not participating. Many runners are running for a good cause and raising money. We gave our little love to Alexis Berman, se her donation page here: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AlexisBerman
The Brighton Marathon event has been added to our Featured races on the Runner’s portal. Pick your race and create your event in just a minute!
Using Race Peps on Brighton Marathon is completely free and without hidden catches. This is how you do it:
- Read more and register at: https://www.racepeps.com. Only you need an account, not your friends.
- Log in to https://runner.racepeps.com and create your race event (works best on Chrome, not so well on Edge, sorry). The Brighton Marathon event is listed already in our event planner, so it only takes a minute to create the event. You can leave everything as they are, or adjust the description and start end times to suite your needs / goals. SAY: Log in -> Add new -> pick Brighton -> edit the name, description and start / end times -> finish.
- See our tutorial video below to see everything step-by-step: https://vimeo.com/318877803 (it is a bit outdated, due to the new and easier version of Race Peps released just recently)
- Share your event link with your friends some days prior the race. Post it on Facebook or however you want. Friends will open the link and write or record their cheers on your route.
- If you now some other participants, let them know about Race Peps too, so you get to send cheers too!
- Download Race Peps for iPhone or Android here: https://racepeps.com/download
- !! IMPORTANT !! Launch and log in to the app some days before the race, to avoid all the hassle and buzzle and sizzle on the starting line!
- On the race day, open the Race Peps app, pick the Brighton from the list, tap GO, stow away the phone, and hear the love from your friends during the race. It will be emotional and fun!
- During the race, friends can send you live messages and see your location on the map too on the same Friends page, you shared with them.
- After the race, log again into the runner portal to see and hear all the messages sent to you!
- Optionally you can add some messages to yourself too, heads ups for drinking points etc. Just open the Friends link and pep yourself! 🙂
- You can use all the other apps just like normal (music, trackers), and Race Peps will NOT drain your battery out.
- Friends can’t ever see other friends messages. The runner can’t see any of the messages prior the race; after the race (after the set finish time has lapsed), Runner gets access to all sent messages.
- Only the runner needs an account and the app, friends do not need to register or download any apps. Anyone who has the Friends’ link can send you messages.
- After tapping GO, make sure you will hear a welcome message and see yourself properly located on the map view.
- Additionally you can set a hello message spoken to you every now and then, just to make you sure that the app is up and running.
- We would love to hear your feedback, good or bad or anything in between! Race Peps is a little hobby project, built by a little team in Finland. Even thou it is not mandatory, we would really love to hear, how did we do in Brighton.
If you have any questions, head out our forums or just contact us they way you prefer (Facebook has been the most popular so far: https://facebook.com/racepeps :).
Photo and text credit: http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk, Mike Fleming (CC), Malc McDonald (CC)